The Application Period for the Contra Costa County Civil Grand Jury for 2023-2024 is Now Closed
The next recruitment for Civil Grand Jurors will be held in January 2024 for the 2024-2025 jury term
Contra Costa County residents are encouraged to apply for Grand Jury service. Applications are screened for eligibility. Judges interview potential jurors and select 30 qualified candidates. A random drawing will be held to select the final 19 jurors and alternates at the impanelment ceremony on June 16, 2023.
Desirable Attributes of a Grand Juror
Grand Jury service is a volunteer position with modest monthly compensation for meetings and mileage. Members receive a wealth of experience and provide a vital service to their community. Desirable attributes include:
- Good health
- An open mind
- Knowledge of and interest in local government and community affairs
- Skill in working productively with others in a group setting where respect and patience are essential
- Skill and experience in fact-finding, investigative techniques, and report writing
To be considered for nomination to be a grand juror, you must meet the following legal requirements:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a resident of Contra Costa County for at least one year immediately prior to the beginning go your service;
- Possess intelligence, sound judgment, and a good character;
- Have sufficient knowledge of the English Language to communicate orally and in writing.
- If you are serving as a trial juror in any court in California
- If you have been convicted of malfeasance in office or any other high crime;
- if you are serving as an elected public officer.